Hey folks,

Ive come into possesion of an MSR Pocket Rocket. I already use and love my DIY alcy stove so I really dont need it as a stove most of the year. However, I want to take it this winter to use for melting snow. Ive heard all kinds of things about cannister stoves and low temps, but opinions seem to vary. Everything from they work great to they are a useless crap in the snow and cold temps.

Ive concluded through research online that efficiency is directly related to the temperature of the cannister. Also that the ingredients of the fuel canisters vaporize at different temps(iso-butane around 20deg. and Propane well into the negatives), and this affects performance. So my questions are A.) has anyone used a PR in winter conditions and how was the experience? B.) What are some ways to increase fuel efficiency? C.) what are some ways to keep the fuel warm? D.) what are the limits of this little stove?

This stove was a gift and 99% of my Winter adventures dont require snow as a water source. But it would be great to know that I can use this little guy for some treks where water is scarce and snow is in abundance. I value the input of the members of this forum much more than online reviews so thanks for any and all replies.

Cheers.
BP