I think a relevant question is how many days you're hiking. One to three days, I wouldn't worry about it much, just take enough food that you're not likely to be suffering from hunger pangs, make sure to get at least some protein, the rest will likely take care of itself. So long as you bring stuff that you'll be willing to eat.

More than three days then maybe you want to be a bit more careful about what you're carrying, but even then I'd not sweat it much. By the time that you'll be walking back up out of the canyon you'll likely have your food weight substantially reduced.

So indeed, not a pack of nothing but snicker bars, but some snicker bars would be a fine choice. Personally I expect I'd just carry the same kinds of no-stove foods that I would for any other trip. For me that's gorp, trail bars, jerky, dried fruit, some sort of bread item for lunch with likely some sort of spread (peanut butter & maybe something else, or lunch meat and butter --- no problem there in colder weather). For dinners I might bring some bread and sausage for the first night and then Idahoan brand (whatever favorite flavor) potatos, quite good cold, and for alternating nights a decent sized (5 - 7 oz) foil tuna packet with some sort of starch (crackers, pita bread, whatever) to go with it.
Keep it simple and don't be too picky about food in the woods; most things taste great when you're hungry!