ppine, thanks for your response. I don't get to hike at altitude often. Most recently last month at about 10k, but only a short solo day hike.

I have only been over 15,000' once. That was in 2004. A buddy and I spent a month in Peru and I insisted that we spend part of the trip backpacking. After reading a bit we decided on the Cordillera Blanca. My buddy had never gone backpacking, didn't own a pack. I trusted my own abilities and experience, and I trusted what I knew of my friend to be up for such a trip. We decided no guide, no arriero, and just humped our own gear, food, etc. We figured out the logistics of getting to and from the trail once we were in the area.

This new trip I have in mind, in the Cordillera Huayhuash, is a whole other deal. More, and sustained altitude. More remote, and three times as long as that last trip. As I have stated, I have a friend who thinks she wants to go on this trip. She has loads of enthusiasm and energy, but zip for experience. I do not consider her request lightly, nor have I agreed to anything but talking about it and starting her on the right path to learning to enjoy being competently self-contained outside.

While this is the trip of my dreams, I will not rush into it, especially with a newbie. It has been correctly and repeatedly pointed out that this proposal has danger signs written all over it. I agree. But I see that as a starting point, rather than a dead end.

One major difference with this trip is I am going to hire a local guide/arriero. The main difference is that burros carry a good percentage of the load. I have yet to completely sign-on to LP and tend to carry a large pack. Read: I am the guy people come to when they realize one sweater isn't enough, or their batteries just ran out, or stare longingly at my calorie rich hot meal as they munch on their bird-seed... So, even if I end up carrying a 40 lb pack, I'll be a happy camper. Admittedly, as I get longer in the tooth, LP is starting to reveal its charms. Your collective pontificating has not gone unnoticed.

Meanwhile, I will continue to get ready for this trip, aiming at 2013 or 2014 on the outside. Whether my friend proves ready, or decides that for all her desire, that backpacking in remote areas is not her cup of tea, I plan on doing this trip before the sand runs out on me. Still, I think it'd be swell to share it with someone I like.