Added: I seldom say "Something can't be done." Other people have done whatever crazy idea I'm planning, so my attitude is "How did they do it?" Other people have learned to hike a difficult hike in the time you have. Some in much less time.

No single aspect of backpacking taken by itself is really that difficult. It's when everything is put together that it can become difficult.

People hate me as a teacher, because I break things down into very simple components that are easy to learn. They always want to rush ahead to more difficult things. I'm also a big believer in repetition.

I'd set up a merit badge system with each badge being extremely simple. For instance, her tent may require her to tie a taut line hitch. I'd practice it 7 times a day for 7 days and then it will be automatic.

Then I'd have her set up the tent 7 days in a row on different terrain in her yard. It's nice to know if it doesn't work so well on a slight slope.

Then sleep in the tent for 7 nights, not necessarily in a row, on different slopes. It's nice to know if you are going to slide across the floor at night.

The number 7 is important as that's the number of repetitions to make things sink into long term memory.

There is a method to my madness. If preparing takes a lot of effort, she may decide not to go. Then you can plan something simpler to enjoy her company if that's important to you.

If she goes through all the preparation, you will likely have a great hiking partner.

As I still don't know the definition of "extreme" temper this all with judgement.

Added: I like the new title of the thread.

Edited by Gershon (11/01/11 12:31 PM)