Hello everyone,

Let me start of by saying I understand the amount of responsibility taking anyone man, child, dog or pup into the backcountry is. I am a father of three, And have always been a responsible pet owner.

I currently have a 9 1/2-10 year old lab boxer mutt. Wonderful dog but our 2.5mile nightly walk is about all he can handle. He loves to go on day hikes and he knows his weight which pretty much means I'm always stuck holding his leash . Sometimes for dear life. Anyways as I realize he's not getting any younger and I've pretty much exhausted all my resources for two legged hiking companions.

I've started to put some thought into getting a puppy. Maybe not now. Maybe not until our dog now passes but I've put enough thought into it that I'm starting to research breeds and breeders.

I've grew up pretty much my entire life around golden retrievers and labs. And as much as I love labs. I beleive I'd like to break the trend. My mom and brother both have had siberian huskys in my aldult years. Which were both lovely dogs. But not planning on going that rout either.

Let's start with a few requirements.
Must be a smart breed.
Medium sized breed.
Good with kids/family dog.<< yea I know this requires socialy traing the pup around children and supervising the children around pup.
Fairly energetic breed capable of 10+ mile hikes in moderate terrain.
I would prefer a short coated dog but this is not a deal breaker.
Im really not sure if I have a preference male or female

The only bread I really have been looking at at the moment are the Australian shepherds.

Any advice on breeds or sex of dogs as family dogs or hiking companions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks SAMOSET

Edited by Samoset (10/28/11 10:49 PM)