Originally Posted By ppine
I apologize to all those who cannot seem to grasp this topic. The backcountry of N Amer is no place to be clueless and careless about one's own welfare, not to mention the welfare of one's companions.

I guess I am too stupid to grasp the topic. Give me a short list of where people that are clueless and careless about one's own welfare ARE safe.

I think we should revoke the driver's licenses for all people that are clueless and I should be the final judge.

I am safer and more comfortable in the backcountry than I would be in downtown Detroit.

Mental toughness is doing the "right thing" even when you are not 100% sure what is right.

Mental toughness is acting for someone else while sacrificing your own comfort. Single parents ARE mentally tough.

Overcoming an addiction is tough.

Tim Tebow is starting for the Broncos today. Good coaching and repetitions will make him a better quarterback. But you can say the same about most all activities.

Mental toughness is getting up one more time than you are knocked down. But that does not have anything to do with the backcountry.