Originally Posted By oldranger

I am not talking about training situations, although potential new members are scrutinized pretty thoroughly in that context, but more of how new folks function on an actual operation. Are they comfortable in the environment (almost always at night and out in the mountains)? Do they take initiative or do they wait for guidance (neither is necessarily all good or all bad). Are they reckless or prudent? etc, etc., The idea is to develop a profile of the person so that their skills and abilities can be matched with requirements of teams on future missions.

Our group comprised quite a few different individuals, and not all of them were vigorous, leap tall mountains at a single bound testosteronoids. Many of our ops used a amazingly diverse set of talents and abilities, not all of which were physical.

Our members were never sworn in. Did you mean to say "sworn at"? That happened a time or two....

Our members are sworn in by one of the deputies after passing background checks, going through the initial trainings, and passing the physical fitness test.

We are all ages ranging from 20-70+. Some folks are ground pounders, some do swiftwater and high angle technical too. Some have CARDA certs for their dogs. Not everyone is fit enough for the hasty team. We have people who can't go alpine, and one is deathly allergic to poison oak.

Our trainings are sometimes overnight mock searches and since we search at night if necessary we include night navigation practice. I am usually a team leader and my practice is to rotate delegated tasks so everyone practices communication, navigation and note taking. By the time we go searching we are usually able to acquit ourselves well enough in the field.

http://hikeandbackpack.com