In group hiking, I think most of us would help out "fallen" members to the extent of our ability. I do understand what Lori is saying. I hike and climb with a friend who is a RN. She is very touchy about what medical aid she renders. She only takes a very minimal first aid kit (more minimal than mine!) She only hikes with people she knows well and trusts. Unfortunately we have liability laws that allow someone she aids to sue her if the outcome turns out bad. She could easily loose her license and ability to make a living. I think Lori is in a health related profession too. By stating that she is not responsible for others I think she is just protecting herself from law suits. In non-orgainzed groups everyone is responsible for themselves. In orgainzed groups you sign a waiver and still are responsible for yourself. That does not mean that the leader does not FEEL responsible or assist those in need, they just are not leagally responsible for the outcome. I try to make the trip enjoyable for those with me, but I do not feel responsible for someone else's happiness. You can lead a horse to water but cannot force them to drink!

To address Steadman's first point-to some people (personalities) a tough backpack (or seeking out a tough backpack) does not "suck". Overcoming obstacles can be very rewarding. I occssionally do this myself. When I do I most often go alone because it is not reasonable to expect others to tag along on my masochistic streaks.