Originally Posted By ppine

Women as a group have come a long way , and have impressed me greatly in the last 20 years or so.

It is just barely possible that you may draw a reaction to this statement from some members of this forum......

A couple of examples from my experience. One of my supervisors survived a grizzly attack while working in Alaska. She had to play dead while the grizz, after attacking and injuring her partner, came over and batted her around a bit. I saw plenty of occasions where this lady displayed nerves of steel.

I ran across another example while doing shipwreck research at Channel Islands National Park. The lone survivor of a swamped fishing vessel, a lady named Bernice Brown, swam to Anacapa Island and survived there for 14 days until she was rescued by the Coast Guard. Anacapa has little, if any, natural fresh water. This occurred in March, 1946. That sounds like pretty tough stuff for any era.....

I am curious, as one who has participated in many rescues, what are your criteria for determining "capable of a rescue."