If I were to go to REI for a complete setup, I'd do my homework first. Otherwise you end up with what they have in stock or some things that aren't suitable for you like tents that are too short.

Using tents as an example, you can narrow the choices down to a single person tent and then sort by reviews. I've found that in sum the reviews are pretty good. If a lot of people say the tent is too short, it's likely too short.

Then I'd make a list on a spreadsheet of the tents, price, weight, reviews and comments for significant pros and cons.

When I enter my criteria for backpacks, I come up with only one choice. The Osprey Kestral 38. And it's only $139. This isn't a recommendation. I'd have to look at it first. Your choice might be the 48 liter pack.

Be sure to get an REI membership for $20 for life. It allows you to return things for life just because you don't like them, and you don't have to save the receipts. Also, you will get notified of garage sales where they sell returned items for greatly reduced prices.

Do the same type of things for everything you will take with you and you will end up with a decent setup. Then,when you go to the store, the salesperson won't have to guess at what you want. They may be able to suggest alternatives that are just as good and cheaper.

Be sure to have them show you how to set up the tent and adjust the backpack. It's important to test the tent with a sleeping bag and a "pillow" made of rolled up extra clothes to see if it's long enough. Many are made for people under 6 feet.