I called the Sylamore Ranger District offices today to ask about the Sylamore Creek trail in the Ozark NF. It's just a short trail, around 13-20 miles depending if you hike a link to the OHT, but it runs through some great places to bushwhack around and has a ton of scenic spots within the creek's watershed.

So, I first tell the woman who answers that I'm not familiar with the trail and I have a few questions. She says "Okay", so I first ask if there have been any problems with bears that I should be aware of, and she replies, "Hmmm, I have no idea", with a "Well, there are bears in the forest, ya know" appended to it.

So, I respond, "Sure, but has anyone reported any problems with encountering a bear? You know, any problems bears I should be aware of? She replies, "Hmmm, not that I know of". So then, and I don't even know why, I asked, "Do you recommend bear bagging your food when backpacking there?" and she says, and I swear this is true, ""Hmmm, I have no idea what that means". So I explain, and she says, "Well, you oughta protect your food."

The thing is, no one I know here bear bags their food, or uses a canister, so I guess I was just curious to hear what they said about this. Now I know.

Then I ask, "How are the ticks and chiggers this time of year?" and she says, "Hmmm, I have no idea". Fair enough, I guess you have to be out there to know.

Okay... So, I ask my final question, which I though was pretty good one... "Should I expect any trouble finding water along the trail?", and the answer was, "Well, we have had a drought this summer".

Yep, we sure have, but we had a deluge this past Spring, and that creek is spring fed, and the trail runs alongside the creek, so I say "That's what I was a little worried about, but I've read that Sylamore Creek runs even in the driest of years, so I just wanted to double check to see if there would be a problem finding water there now, before I head out."

She says, ""Hmmm, I have no idea" and then I hear her ask someone else, and they ponder it a few seconds and say, "I don't think so", and the woman on the phone repeats that to me.

That is all SOOO Ozarky, but now I know exactly what to expect:

Might or might not run into ticks and chiggers.

Might or might not run into problem bears so you oughta to protect your food.

Might or might not have trouble finding water.

And the really funny thing is, I know all of those are the right answers laugh

"You want to go where?"