Although I'm not ultra light I have improved. I confess I'm a gadget geek, I'm also an old Army ground pounder so I know a bit about going out. Back in the 80s I packpacked Desolation with a Dana pack at around 40pounds just for a weekend. Now I have newer gear, I picked up one of the tarp tents, a Rainshadow 3 person for me and my family that weights 2.65 pounds. I weighed my pack for a weekend to Yosemite and mine was 24 pounds. I have seen the ultra light packs, I have a North Face Terra 65 which does seem heavy to me. But I could lighten my load by leaving some comforts at home. I'm 55 and I like comforts, I also carry a serious first aide/survival kit that I put together. It came in handy when my boy fell and skinned up his knees. I also like to help folks in need..I look at it as Karma. Once in Desolation I had a bad headache, I barely slept that night. Next day a young lady camping near by gave me some Tylenol. Since then I take a just in case kit, and when I'm in the boon docks I share with people in need. Good way to make friends IMO.