Hello everyone, as implied, my name is Samual Miller

This will require a bit of background to support my questions ;p bare with me here

I have backpacked a bit before, and hiked as well, I have never quote on quote been a "backpacker" but I do enjoy it. I did some backpacking on the continental divide (before I got struck with mono which was NO fun, let me tell you, having to hike back like that)

But what I have in mind for what I'm planning is quite different, and was wondering if this is the right forum to be in.

Taking a look at my life, and realizing I'm young with no obligations or bills to tie me down, that the time to travel is now, do some things that I will remember for the rest of my life, and after some thinking, I'm considering a cross country trip, starting on the east coast, ending up somewhere in the midwest or even west coast. Time is not an issue in the least, I have a job right now, and all my money is going into saving (for this kind of thing exactly). I was thinking of spending months and months planning this out, buying maps, looking up hostels and places to go, now, at this point, this trip is still just an idea.

I plan on staying away from greyhound for the most part, and absolutely no planes, and going mostly walking and and hitchhiking (is hitchhiking even done a lot anymore?)

I was hoping to see "must see" places in the USA, as well as some local secrets, and definitely some beautiful mountain scenery, and at this point I'm at a complete loss at where to start planning this cross country escapade. What shoes are good for this, how much money should I have with me? What websites could I visit to look up some good places to see on the way, etc etc

I've done film school in the past, and hope to chronologue my adventure the whole time, along with keeping written thoughts.

Again, am I even in the right place for this kind of trip? Some input would be incredibly appreciated! Thank you in advance