Hi all. I'm looking at going on a first backpacking trip and I am totally clueless. I have done short day hikes (like, 6 miles and under), but have never camped or used a pack before.

Other concerns: I live in Michigan. Which is flat. MT is apparently not flat. Peak elevation on the trail will be about 10k feet. I have no perspective whatsoever on what that means for me, physically. All I know is it's somewhere between flat and Mt. Everest. Not all that helpful.

I am so clueless I don't even know what I don't know at this point. I have almost a year before this trip, but am starting to think about it now, mostly because I'm geeked already.

The tentative plan is: 26 miles, east rosebud trail (aka the beaten path) in MT, done sometime late July to mid-August. I'd be going with 2 people who have done the hike once already. 2 of us will be newbies in every sense. I'm a 29 yo female, not overweight, but just slightly out of shape from inactivity (stay at home parent to a 5 yo).

Instead of rambling on any more, can someone tell me what other info would be relevant in order for you all to provide some guidance?

Also, I'm sure there are other threads that can provide some helpful, somewhat generic info to me so you don't have to re-write entire threads. I have been reading articles, etc. online, but being such a novice, most of them are way over my head. I need a Backpacking for Idiots type book and/or discussion!

TIA!