Originally Posted By Matticus
I see some high numbers on weight here.

Weight adds up much quicker than you think.

I was going to dump the stove idea and go no-cook, but that seems not to be a common thing to do.

People do it, they are usually the more extreme ultra-lighters. Do you really want to spend four days eating nothing but granola bars, trail mix, and energy shakes? Just so you can lug around a heavy tent?

clothes will be 2 wicking shirts, one pair of pants that convert to shorts, baselayer (gets into the 30's at night in winter) however may leave that out as I sleep hot, even when it's cold.

How about some outer layers? A wind breaker, rain protection, a fleece?

1st aid kit.
water and some sort of filter (borrowed)
1.5lbs food/day x 3 days,
the smallest stove I get can my hands on (again, borrowed)

Water storage, pot to boil water, utensils?

small pocket knife,
thin rope for hanging food
2 pair wool sock (one on foot)

Minimal water will need to be carried, there is an abundance of water where I will be.

Water weight is a optimization problem. Cary too much and you pack is burdensome... carry too little and your constantly stopping to pump more water.

sleeping pad (may not bring, never used one in the past)

Sleeping pads are important for insulation. A hot summer night, you might not need it, but what happens if the weather turns bad? The ground will be sucking energy out of you all night.

I've gathered what I could and weighed it, not as heavy as expected, definately not getting near 40lbs. I will see if I can downsize the tent, save myself 6 lbs. I'd like to get below 30lbs.

Thanks for the replies, it helps, I think I need to start getting the borrowed equipment from people so I can nail down the weight. It's hard to plan when you have no idea what you will actually have.