I am 54 and my goal is to be a better hiker every year so when I retire I can hike the PCT. The hiking is much easier when you take your son and he is 29. I am lucky that my wife and son are doing a 3 week JMT hike in mid August starting at Cottonwood pass. I am lighter and fitter than I was 10 years ago. We all use poles to keep the wear and tear on the knees down. The gear is lighter and better and we find we need less gear for comfort so the pack weights are much better than when I had to lug my kids gear plus mine. 10 miles a day carrying the family gear was a lot harder than 25 miles a day with only my gear. My biggest limitation now is the amount of time off. When I retire I won't have that problem. I don't plan to sit around on my butt and whine about being to old to hike.

My inspiration is a pair of 80 year old dudes we meet on to of Glen Pass in 2008. They have been doing the JMT every year since the 1970's. They just do less miles per day as they get older. Not a problem when you have the time.

Edited by Jeff (07/15/11 12:34 PM)