Well, it's six months after the original post. In those early posts, I indicated that I was in a state of indecision between a single staff and a pair of poles, and not quite sure I trusted carbon fiber poles.

Since then, I've been using a pair of MSR Carbon Reflex poles, and found that I prefer two poles to a single staff. I've gotten used to the rhythm of two poles, and find that I do feel more confident with four feet than three. About two weeks ago, I had a chance to try a single pole again (a friend forget his poles, so we split my pair for the weekend), and I found that I missed having the extra pole.

I have actually built up a fair degree of confidence in the carbon fiber. They have never seriously flexed or suffered any kind of wear or damage, and (except for one time, when I forgot to tighten it) have never needed re-tightening or adjustment due to slippage in the mechanism. (I've also developed a pretty high level of confidence in the carbon fiber pole that holds up my Carbon Reflex tent.)

I'm not convinced that they work any better than a good set of aluminum poles, nor am I convinced that screw-type mechanisms are any better than flick-locks. But, they work at least as well, in both cases, and that's good enough for me to quit worrying about them and enjoy the hike. And, despite all the debates we have about cost versus function and high-end versus bargain we have on the forums, it all comes down to that: your gear should be so worry-free that it stays in the background of the hike, leaving you free for the important stuff.