The ULA-Equipment Catalyst will carry 35-40 lbs. It's 3.0 lbs. It can be gotten with a strap configuration designed for women. ULA is the one of the few lighweight pack manufacturers to note that females are built a bit differently than males!

My Six Moon Designs Comet (discontinued smaller version of their Starlight) will handle up to 35 lbs. At least the time I did it, my back, shoulders and hips were fine, although my knees and feet were screaming. It does hold a Bearikade Weekender sideways, just barely. The Starlight is bigger (weighs about 2 lbs.) so should hold the big size Bear Vault or Bearikade. Definitely get the stays/hoop (I think they just switched to a hoop) and use a pad (even if a partially inflated air pad) in the back. I wouldn't be able to use a Starlight because it's too big for my load (the smaller Comet is almost too big--I never use the expansion collar).

Whether any of these will fit you is another issue, and an important one for you! Get the pack that is comfortable for you while carrying your load. That's far more important than the weight!

Assuming your current pack fits and comfortably carries your load, have you looked to see what you could trim off your current pack to save weight? Most "standard manufacturer" pads have a lot of gewgaws that aren't needed. A bit of butchery never hurt and might save a pound or even more!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/10/11 02:34 PM)