Originally Posted By Anub
Yes I have read a lot of the links. I also read "The Backpacker's Field Manual" by Rick Curtis. I have pitched my tent in my yard and put our pads and sleeping bags in there and don't feel like there will be enough room to also put the packs in there. I want to leave them outside the tent but inside the rainfly,

If you have enough room to do this, that often works fine. Your
other option is to do my little trick of a garbage bag inverted over top with the haul strap on the pack poked through and just hang it by the haul strap from a nearby tree. Then it's out of your way, not on the ground, but won't get wet in a storm.

Your fly will probably keep your pack dry enough, the only thing I would worry about is rodent problems if they are salt crazy where you hike (where I am in canada, I get rodents that will chew up salty stuff - like pack straps where you sweat)

You might get a little condensation under the tent - but shouldn't be a big deal.

Quote:

Should I be keeping our stove, pot, and sporks in the canister as well? We will only be boiling water.

I keep my spork and anything I've eaten with/off of in the bear hang/bag/canister. This includes my pot and little cup. I do not keep by stove or fuel in it. Since I use an ursack, my pot usually goes in last, inverted over top of everything, and I tie the ursack shut - any mouse or critter trying to get in the top is faced with a solid wall of aluminium - don't forget, your bear thing (ursack, canister, hang) isn't just for bears - rodents and small critters are a problem with food too.. I took my ursack to tasmania - got a few funny looks, but I was also one of the only ones in camp that the possums did *not* get into his food..

Quote:

Again thanks for any help. And sorry about the wall of text. blush

No problem at all

Edited by phat (05/26/11 11:34 PM)
Browse my pictures