BZH,
Natural local bait has always been better in my experience. I believe the fish recognize it as their natural food source and don't hesitate to eat it. But don't get me wrong sometimes you can't find live local bait, thus why I bring some worms. I just get whatever I find in the garden. Worms for me have always worked pretty well. Better then corn, salmon eggs, tiny marshmallows, or fake bait.

As for cooking the fish. I bring a very tiny shaker of lemon pepper and garlic powder to flavor my fish. Gut and clean the fish and sprinkle lemon pepper and/or garlic powder inside the fish then cook it. This is my backcountry cooking method. At home I like butter, fresh lemon with sage, and a a touch of fresh ground pepper. But I'm not going to bring that in the backcountry as I try to keep it light as I'm sure most do here.

OregonMouse,
I always follow all rules and regulations and encourage others to do the same. I pick up a copy of my state's regulations every year as I also like to hunt.(I hunt for meat, I am not a trophy hunter.) But I'm not going to preach if anyone breaks a minor rule like pulling a fish out of the water without a licence to eat it.(Nor would I enable anyone that's breaking the rules by giving or lending them equipment, no matter how minor.)But they better not complain when the ranger writes up that ticket. I will report people if they are hurting animals for no reason.