I have been a backcountry fisherman for a long time and I have a really light set up. I'm an old fashion bobber, sinker, hook, and worm guy.(I know that sounds bad.) crazy Never got into fly fishing much, so I don't have a backcountry set up for it. I mostly fish, golden, browns, rainbows, and cuttrought. I do mostly shore and creek fishing.

Here is my gear list:
Pen fishing rod 2oz
MX 15 rear drag graphite spinner reel with 6lb line 5oz
Tackle box with 9 small bobbers, 12 hooks, and 20 sinkers 4oz
Nylon fish stringer 1oz
Very small thin plastic bait tupperware for worms 4oz

Just one pound. This works great for me. A few key points with my set up. With the pen rod you have to know how to use drag and have to use a net or shore your fish to prevent breaking the rod. This takes a bit of practice but not hard to do. As for bait I try to use natural bait like stonefly larva found under rocks in the water in early summer, late spring, grasshoppers, or larva from old wet rotten logs. But that's my region of the world and may not work for everyone. As for worms I have a very small tupperware with a three holes poked in the top. I shred non chemically treated paper and mix it with a bit of mud. As to make sure they live the heat of my pack I put a small ice cube on one side of the tupperware. This helps keep them cool for the trip in. Oh and if my rod or reel fail, I just use a stick and tie a line to it for an even more old fashioned method. grin

As for cooking them tasty fishies. I use two methods depending if I can have a fire or not. If a fire is permitted I use a modified fish friing grill with the handle cut off. I got it cheap at a sportmens store and it weights only 3.5oz modified.(8.5x8.5 inches) If I can't have a fire I use an alcohol stove and a bakepacker. I always bring an alcohol stove and bakepacker so I won't include this weight.

Sorry for the long post but I have been working on my backcountry fishing system for years. Just remember, do what works for you and this is what works for me. smile