Getting to a lighter load is more than just the equipment. Good trip planning helps. Here are a few of my "light" planning tips. What are yours?

1) Food - a "7-day trip" is not seven days of food! Just think about it- day 1 you eat breakfast at the car and the last day you hope to get out before dinner. Often the last day is just fine with a hearty breakfast. So for a 7-day trip I bring 6 breakfasts, 6 dinners and 7 lunches (snacks). If I have a short last day I only bring 6 lunches. There goes 1.5 pounds of weight! You can also cut down fuel. For me this means that a medium gas cannister is all that I need.

2) Appropriate gear- no need for a "mountain kit" if I am backpacking on the coast. I have a 45-degree synthetic sleeping bag for coast hikes- better in the damp wet conditions and weighs less than my 10-degree down mountain bag. I do not take a rain jacket in the desert. Delete the wading-camp shoes in late season when creeks are low and dry.

3) Small stuff - trade the book for a 3-oz mp3 player with a loaded audio-book.

4) Share- two can go lighter than one because you can share group gear- one stove, one tent, one set of pots. And costs- one permit, split gas costs. Yes, it takes a bit more planning to coordinate two people's schedules. And some peole take all their own gear even on a group trip -try sharing- it is not so bad.

5) Water is one of the heaviest items you carry. Know all the trail water sources. No need to haul liters of water if you cross creeks every few hours.

6)Do the route calculations- only by having a good idea of exactly how many miles and elevation gain you will be doing will you know how long it will take. If you plan too conservatively, you will likely beat the schedule and come out a few days early - thus carry way too much food.