phat:

I was awaiting your reply . . . do you know what lengths I had to go to "to borrow" a wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano? I've been working on this for months. (BTW, I don't think I've mentioned that the one I "borrowed" was a styrofoam prop used to build up the display of P-R at a store. The real thing, the 92-pound wheel, really is greasy/stinky.)

Using Strasberg's method acting, I had to imagine in the pix what I'd look like and feel (later) if I'd eaten the whole wheel and was for sure to forever LNT.

Seriously, in my research, I think the cheese of choice while on a backpack is Pecorino Romano. This cheese from Italy (Rome specifically) was a major contributing factor in the Roman conquest. This cheese is similar to Parmigiano Reggiano, although it is lighter or whiter in color and slightly more "ripe." But it is the same cheese today, basically, that Roman soldiers carried in their packs as they conquered the world. It was a high-protein food from what had been perishable milk that they could travel with over long distances and lengthy time without it spoiling.

Main thing today is to put it high up in the food bag on the bear pole far from the tent while in camp.

(And phat, aren't they always saying how similar Calgary/Edmundton are to Denver/Boulder? Last time I was in Calgary during the oil-sands boom, most everyone was driving a Ferrari.)

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)