My sister took up backpacking and has gone a couple times with me. She always insists on carrying the flask she said it because she knows I won't abandon it. She also carries the coffee pot, a lighter and matches. her own eating kit along with her lunches, snacks, clothes and sleeping bag/pad. I also have her carry the rain fly and stakes, some rope and an emergency blanket, she has the spare fuel bottle,and aqua mire. She has seen how to rig a shelter with just a rain fly and has watched me build cook fires before. Her pack is about 20lbs mine is 30lbs I carry the stove, pot, supper supplies, water purifier, the tent body and poles. I know it could be lighter but the gear is not in buget. If you look around you might find seminars to take on map reading and basic survial skills REI has them geared towards women hikers, I know a couple of other outdoor stores have them and some of the local colleges have weekend courses. If you arm them with the knowlage to safely find the way out and the basics to live on they seemed to find it much more relaxing