As many have mentioned the tent choice really depends largely on two factors. 1) possible snow load and 2) exposure.

Outside of *Serious* wet snow dumps, a decent three season tent will be adequate - particularly if you don't mind knocking some snow off it at night.

Where you get into problems is heavy snow dumps in exposed sites. if you can always camp in a relatively sheltered location, you'll be fine. if you end up having to camp in an exposed location with no trees, then you need something like a more serious four season tent.

I find personally I make that decision based upon how *exposed* my campsite will be - as I know if the weather gets awful the tent will take a full force beating. Decide based upon your campsite locations and weather.

As for stove, if you are down to 0f - in such temperatures I typically only take a white gas stove. I am often melting snow for water, so I use a lot of fuel, and it's easier to carry that much in white gas than in canisters or other stuff. white gas also works waaaay better in cold than anything else. (I *DON'T* use white gas any other time of year) - the MSR whisperlight is probably the quintessential stove for this (and is still what I take in large groups) - if you have an old svea 123 and know how to get it going on the cold it's also a good choice.

as mentioned you will want more than one sleeping pad - many of us (including myself) use a blowup mattress like a big agnes air core which is then topped with a piece of closed cell foam (and if really cold sandwitched between two!) I use a ba aircore with a topper and bottomer of blue foam from wal-mart.

If you have a good winter rated bag, that's great, however if what you have is a three season backpacking bag, do not discount the possibility of taking *two* bags, just make sure the second one is big enough to fit over the outer one without compressing it. I do this (to this day) with a cheap rectangular synthetic bag from wal-mart, which goes over my good three season down bag in cold weather.

make sure you have enough water stored at night before going to bed to have breakfast and drinks in the morning, and bury your water in the snow to keep it from freezing. The other good thing to do with this is take at least one sturdy lexan bottle, warm up water at night and put it as a hot water bottle in the foot of your sleeping bag - will keep you warm and be liquid in the morning. this is one of the reasons I keep the old-scool heavy plastic lexan bottles around - I trust them to do this and not leak (I wouldn't do it with something wimpy like a pop bottle)

Edited by phat (01/15/11 12:54 PM)
Browse my pictures