I agree with BrianLe on his assessment of the Gatewood Cape. I have one and like it a lot; but only under certain circumstances. For much of the country in which I hike it is ideal. I would not use it in, say, the PNW.

A significant portion of my hiking now is either in the Arizona mountains, the Grand Canyon or the Sierra Nevada. I no longer do any winter camping and I tend to confine my "hinge season" hiking to Arizona. This means that the rain I encounter in most of my hiking will be afternoon thunderstorms. For these conditions the Gatewood Cape works well, with a caveat.

Over the years I have shrunk. When I was in the Army, many years ago, I was 5' 11"; now that I am in my 70's I am 5' 9". I can sleep in the Gatewood without touching the silnylon fabric. When I use the net tent, I do touch the netting at one end or the other. Taller people may not be able to use this item.

I have modified my Cape/Net-tent a little. I have extended the elastic loops on the Net Tent so I can use the same stakes used for the Cape pitch regardless of how high or low the Cape is set up. Before this I needed two extra stakes to set up the Net Tent. I have also sewn in Velcro tabs to hold the netting out on the side of the Net Tent opposite the door. This helps keep it out of ones face when sitting up.

I also agree with BrianLe's assessment of the Cape as rain gear. I would not want to use it all day, day after day. It is great for shedding a thunderstorm but not for use all day. And risking ones shelter using it as rain gear in brushy country is not a good idea.

Oh, and incidentally, my Gatewood cape (12.45 oz) and Serenity Net-Tent (7.47 oz) weigh, in combination, about 2 oz more than advertised with all the rigging and minor (<0.5 oz) modifications in place.

Edited by Pika (01/14/11 08:38 AM)