I have three Tarptents: a Squall 2, a Rainshadow and the Tarptent/Gossamer Gear Squall Classic. All three use a hiking pole for front end support. The Squall 2 and Rainshadow can be used with one pole, but two provide a much more stable pitch, especially for the Rainshadow. The first two tents are for going out with the grandkids, although I sometimes take the Squall 2 for short base camp style trips to have more space inside. The Squall Classic (designed by Henry Shires of Tarptent but manufactured by Gossamer Gear) is the tent I use most for backpacking--it's the perfect size for me and my dog and weighs only 25.5 oz.

I really like all three tents, although I wish the first two had a zipper closure for the vestibule instead of the stupid velcro (I hate velcro!). The Squall Classic does have a zippered vestibule and it's wonderful!

All the manufacturers who make trekking-pole supported tents and tarps will sell poles for those who don't hike with trekking poles. For those of us who do use trekking poles for hiking, using them saves on weight and provides a sturdier pole.

The one problem with this setup is when you have a layover day and leave the tent set up while you go day hiking. The alternatives are to remove the pole from the tent and put a few rocks on it to hold it down, find a stick of the correct length, or dayhike without trekking poles. None of these alternatives is 100% satisfactory!

There are now so many styles of tents and tarps that use trekking poles that listing them would take a long time, especially since another "cottage" firm or two will have started up before you finish typing the list!

BrianLe, please let us know how the Lightheart Solo works for you! It's one of the few double-wall tents that uses trekking poles. I understand you plan to use it on the CDT? That certainly will provide a good test!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/11/11 02:56 PM)