Sounds like our experience is similar. I started, 30+ years ago, using a single, fixed-length pole (a "Scout stave" purchased at the local Scouting store), the graduated to an adjustable-length Tracks pole. Eventually, experimenting with ultralight gear, I switched to a pair of trekking poles (motivated by the dual use of shelter support.) Now, I'm occasionally back to using a single pole (and a lightweight tent that has its own pole.) I always felt a tiny bit awkward with a pair of poles, though that feeling greatly diminished with a bit of use. I also, very occasionally, missed having one hand free to grab a tree or rock.

I use at least one pole, for a couple of reasons. First, poles help keep a rhythm to my pace. They also act as an excellent brake on a steep downhill. I'm also convinced that poles take a lot of stress off my knees - a big consideration, at age 60, still using my original knees, without modification. Finally, they give me a lot better balance when crossing streams or even negotiating tricky trail sections (lots of loose rocks, ascending or descending tree-root "staircases," etc.)

I also notice that, without poles, my hands tend to swell a bit (edema?) by late afternoon. With a pair of poles set to keep my arms bent at a 90 degree angle, I don't have this problem. (With a single pole, I get to choose which hand swells.)

As far as features, I tend to choose sectional poles without the antishock feature (the "click-click" is annoying.) I've never had any problems with flick-locks, and my hiking buddy loves that feature, but I tend to prefer twist-lock for no particular reason; however, if one ever fails me, I'll probably become an instant convert to the mechanically-simpler flick-lock.) I also like the push-button adjustment on the Tracks Sherlite staff I sometimes use: it's simple, and has also never failed.

I've used Leki, Black Diamond, MSR, and Tracks brands; all are high-quality, and I've never had any failures. The Leki included a single staff and paired poles, all in aluminum; Black Diamond was paired poles, in aluminum. MSR poles (my current paired-pole choices) are the Denali III aluminum poles and the Carbon Overland carbon-fiber poles. The Tracks pole is aluminum. I really like the weight, balance, and feel of the Overland Carbon poles; the handle is also a "fuzzy" hard-foam grip that feels good. However, like the Carbon Reflex tent, I just haven't developed total confidence in carbon-fiber yet. There's no justifiable reason not to; I suspect that it's more a function of age and emotional reaction - the carbon-fiber poles just look a little too much like the old fiberglass poles from 30 years ago, and they used to break (often on the first use.) I'm working my way toward a more informed judgment, though.

Edited by Glenn (01/11/11 02:54 PM)
Edit Reason: additional info on brands