Originally Posted By lori
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Though you may personally think hammocks are best for everything because some people push the limits does not mean that hammocks are a good idea where winds would carrry away your tarp.

Jim

I'd really appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I've never told anyone hammocks are the best. I have at least four different shelters myself, some with very specific purposes. Note that I do not suggest that anyone try winter hammocking - I simply pointed out that it's possible and gave examples.

As someone who's had the hammock out in wind, I also get to say, they work as well as tents do, if set up properly - site selection is always key. Your tarp is about as likely to blow away as your tent fly. Frankly, my tarp flapped around a whole lot less than my friend's tent did, in the same 40-50 mph wind. And only came loose when a careless person tripped on a corner of it. Once refastened it remained steadfast and stable all night and I slept like a baby with nary a sway of the hammock.

Yea I would appreciate no word stuffing in the mouth also. I never said that either, I just said it can be done in the winter. Me personally, I only want to use my hammock in nice weather. Late Spring early Fall in Maine. If you read my past posts on this thread I never said you must do it and its a great idea to hang in snowy conditions or whatever else you can think of. I simply defended the idea that it can be done, which is a 100% true. Individual tolerance may vary.

I do agree though that those set ups seem way too bulky. For winter camping, me personally, I would stick with a tent and pad. For now at least, who knows I am an adventurous type and may try winter hanging in the future when I have the money to afford the under quilts and bomber hats etc. etc.

Lori - Thanks for the advice! I am still learning the in's and out's and what to look for in a quality hammock. So far though the price of the entry level skeeter beeter pro seems really nice. Found one on amazon.com for 52 bucks. But, still learning, and my mind changes often lol. Thanks again.