Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Though you may personally think hammocks are best for everything because some people push the limits does not mean that hammocks are a good idea where winds would carrry away your tarp.

Jim

I'd really appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I've never told anyone hammocks are the best. I have at least four different shelters myself, some with very specific purposes. Note that I do not suggest that anyone try winter hammocking - I simply pointed out that it's possible and gave examples.

As someone who's had the hammock out in wind, I also get to say, they work as well as tents do, if set up properly - site selection is always key. Your tarp is about as likely to blow away as your tent fly. Frankly, my tarp flapped around a whole lot less than my friend's tent did, in the same 40-50 mph wind. And only came loose when a careless person tripped on a corner of it. Once refastened it remained steadfast and stable all night and I slept like a baby with nary a sway of the hammock.

http://hikeandbackpack.com