Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By aimless

I don't think a hammock could under any stretch be used in a Wyoming winter. You'd need a "5-season" hammock for that! grin

I have hammocked comfortably down to a low of -18 Centigrade.

Having said that, doing so isn't exactly lightweight. I normally go to ground in those temperatures.

But back to the OP - my advice to you is simple. Get *REALISTIC* about how many times you will be out in the winter. Want my advice? rent first. Want my second bit of advice, if you're like most people, spend your 300 on a good lightweight 3 season tent, unless you are mountaineering. it will be lighter, and more comfortable than a true 4 season bombshelter. Now, when you are occasionally going out in 4 seasons, RENT a 4 season tent from rei or a local gear shop.

Me? I have more than one tent. but that way I'm not suffering by carrying a heavy, stuffy 4 season bombshelter that can take a snow load the 95% of the time I don't need it!

to me the scarp doesnt seem that heavy at 4lbs and it claims to be a 4 season shelter. I think if i had a tent that would work for a four season shelter i would be motivated to go camping during the winter since i have the right gear.

I agree on renting gear but their is no where to rent here. maybe your on to something i havent thought of.