Originally Posted By JPete
Thanks Phat,

I've been there for several years now and even as an avid watcher of this site, I haven't found any way that I'm comfortable with to cut that significantly. Since I carry a poncho, I could ditch my rain gear, but I use the poncho for shelter, and I need some way to make the night run (plus, I wear the pants at the laundramat and the top for wind). At least most of the time, I could ditch the silk longies, but they give me a feeling of safety and comfort, and a few extra degrees on a really cold night. But I still think nine is about the same benchmark that thirty was for so many years.

Well, if I were to change that up a bit to genuinely go for a reduced weight I think I can easily drop a pound off of it. Frankly, that's still carrying a black diamond one shot - if the trip were somewhere with mostly less of a possibility for severe weather, I cold drop to just my silponcho for shelter and probably do ok dropping about a pound to a pound and a half from that base.

OTOH, *that* trip I was darn glad I was actually carrying what I was - the first night the weather was abominable and severely windy - in a place with very little places to hide from it, and while I'm just fine with a small tarp when I can pick some cover to help out with it, when you're in an alpine windbowl with no trees it's a bit tougher.
Browse my pictures