The "baggie" is a sandwich or snack (2 different sizes) bag, 0.149 ml thick. The freezer bag is 0.195 ml thick. These are all "Ziploc" brand. An old package of "Glad" freezer bags is labeled as 0.203 ml thick. The sandwich bags are labeled, "not recommended for use in microwave or for storage of liquids." The freezer bags are labeled "Defrost and reheat-vent bag" and say that if done in a microwave, the bag should be placed on a microwave safe dish.

I have both a package of "Multi-Purpose Storage" bags and a package of "Heavy Duty Freezer Bags." Both are suitable for food storage and are exactly the same size and thickness. Both can go into the microwave as outlined above. Evidently the "storage" bags are designed for storing leftovers and picnic foods, while the "freezer" bags are designed for freezing. I'm wondering if there is really any difference!

I do put COLD breakfast cereal in sandwich bags, but I treat them very tenderly and, of course, do not use hot water in them. Sandwich bags might be OK for a dinner if you rehydrate food in your pot, but you don't want anything sharp (such as the ends of spaghetti noodles) inside! Of course that leaves you with a pot to wash.

Due to a couple of medical conditions, I need a freezer bag a day for garbage anyway, so I'd rather use a heavier bag for the food (which afterwards is used for garbage) and not have to wash anything.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/03/10 07:06 PM)