I lived in the Pacific Northwest for nearly 30 years and did a lot of hiking while I was there. I worked in forestry and did a lot of climbing so I was out year around. While living there, I used both "waterproof" and ordinary boots and shoes. In my opinion, the only truly waterproof boots one can buy are the rubber boots hunters and winter outdoors people use. These can be blister machines with even a limited amount of hiking if you don't use good socks; for me this was thick wool. And, even these won't keep your feet dry they just keep cold water out and sweat in.

The Goretex® type of boots I had did not keep my feet much drier than did my old, heavy, leather Dolomite climbing boots. But, my old Dolomites would dry out a lot quicker than the Goretex® equivalent.

One thing to be sure of, if you hike in wet country you will have wet feet; you can't prevent it but you can be comfortable. Several pairs of socks drying in rotation are a good start.

I used to dry my socks by wrapping them around my waist under my clothes. This would wake you right up on a cold morning but would get them adequately dry by mid day if I was active. On long trips, I would get a bit smelly though. sick This is not something I recommend but it is one way of tackling sock drying.