If I go backpacking and a friend carries my gear is it still backpacking? confused
What If I go backpacking and my friend is a Llama? blush

I talked to a woman today about adopting a "rescued" Llama from a rehabilitation farm. (found it on Craigslist)She say Tommy Bahama is a happy wonderful friendly Llama that likes dogs, doesn't have mean bone in his body and a 3 foot high 2 rail fence keeps him in. They don't need to see the vet, grow valuable fur, eat weeds or hay and only require food and water to leave them for a week vacation.
I'll admit that I'd rather ride a horse with a bedroll on the back, but Llama camping is all the rage here in central Oregon. Obviously you would not want to become separated from your Llama if he had your pack, but he doesn't need a sleeping bag and probably a mosquito headnet would work on him as I've seen great photos from the Andes of Llamas wearing hats. A Llama doesn't weigh as much as a horse, so you might not need to hobble him before sleeping to keep him from standing up and stepping on you. Hmm Llamas have toes, horses have hoofs...

Anyway if you only had a 40 degree sleeping bag and it dropped below freezing you just snugggle up to your Llama. I understand the cowboy technique was to hobble the horse and cover him with an oiled water proof tarp then get under it with him.

Did I mention "ice chest"? As in fresh eggs, bacon, cold drinks. The ice chest on one side balances the pack on the other. Anybody know where I can a Llama pack?

Oh what the heck, he could carry my tiny Husqvarna chain saw ( about 9-10 pounds) too and we could have a nice fire.
Jim smile

Edited by Jimshaw (08/14/10 09:36 PM)