Dried foods, either freeze-dried or dehydrated, contain very little fat. You want to remove as much fat as possible from home-dehydrated foods to keep them from becoming rancid, and they should be stored in the freezer.

A few squirts of olive or canola oil mixed into your dinners when you rehydrate them will help make up this fat deficiency. The monounsaturated fat in these oils is also much healthier for you than the saturated fats found in meat. I personally love high-quality olive oil (see Franco's post) and use it instead of butter at home.

My main source of fat out on the trail is nuts: almonds, hazelnuts (called filberts here in Oregon), walnuts, peanuts and (my favorite) cashews. In lieu of lunch, I nibble on nuts and dried fruits throughout the day. Again, this is healthy monounsaturated fat. I seem to be able to digest this kind of fat, while having digestive problems with the fats found in meat and dairy.