balza
I didn't say I have never used a compass, I said I have carried one that never gets used, because I have a GPS sometimes, and because generally I am in mountain country where only a complete ditz could get lost. In fact I have studied celestial navigation etc etc for the purpose of navigation at sea, and I was a boy scout, and I actually know how to orient a compass and chart a route, however I find that I never need those skills, perhaps because I have them, but this is why I am so persistent in my feeling that a compass is just not worthy of being on the ten essential list. And of most people don't know how to use it or read a map so why carry them?
Jim

Glenn,
When I can if I take a newby camping I supply a pack and everything in it. I tell them to bring 3-5 items, their own pants, shirt underwear, and other than that I say "pick up that pack and lets go", then I KNOW they have what they will need.

Edited by Jimshaw (08/11/10 02:08 PM)