Originally Posted By Ol Dirty GNATS
Can anyone tell me about this book "The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Backpacking and Hiking"

I'm considering buying this book, but I was hoping to find a review on it here. My searching skills may be very poor; I couldn't find a review. I don't mean to hi-jack this post; however, it seems like a good place to post my question as it's right on topic.

Are the books suggested here for absolute beginners?
I have camping experience, and I navigate without trails, through woods almost nightly while raccoon hunting with my hounds. Although I am not completely new to the woods, I need a book that will show me how to pack, tell me what to pack, and alert me to situations that I have not thought of.
I looking for a book in extrema layman's terms to begin with.

Might be good or bad, but imo, if you want a book, just get the original..

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Walker-IV...5966&sr=8-2

realisticly speaking though, you may find that by having a few discussions with people here, looking at a few gear lists (some of us post ours) from people here and on www.backpacking.net (look at the "18 pound three day list" and the "27 pound 7 day list") You may find that if you are already use to being outside, you may be just fine with advice from other sources than a book.

That isn't to say just believe everything you hear on the internet of course, but really - it's just walking wink

Browse my pictures