Hello all:

Firstly, like to give a big thumbs up to the moderators of this forum, it has amassed a wealth of great information and experienced people with a good sense of humor goodjob . My wife and I are preparing for our first backcountry outing in mid September to Yosemite NP high country. We've decided to go with a guided hands-on trip, which is suppose to be a good intro course to backpacking, navigation, cooking, etc. as well as, a great 3 night stay in the high country. We will be starting at Cathedral Lakes trailhead ending at Cathedral Lake with optional hikes from there to surrounding domes. On day 2 we'll stay on the John Muir Trail settling at Sunrise Lake. The last day's hike is to Tenaya Lake. We are both experienced dayhikers that have wanted, for sometime now, to take the next step. Longest dayhike I've completed was 20 miles. Location: Massanutten Mountain by Shenandoah Valley in VA. Elevation Change for that day's hike was: 3,320' gain/2,890' loss. I'm aware that hiking with a 35lb pack will be a whole different ballgame, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I'm in the preparation process for this September's trip and collecting my backpacking gear step by step. So far, I've invested in:
[list]
[*]Deuter Air Contact Lite pack (2009)
[*]REI Half Dome 2 tent (2009)
[*]Merrell Moab ventilators
[*]Thermarest Pro Lite 4 Sleeping Pad

Still shopping around for a sleeping bag. I believe a +25 bag was recommended. Does anyone have any advice with regards to high country Yosemite and a bag? Down vs. Synthetic for this type of trip? Also, I have little to no experience with trekking poles. Would this be a good time to familiarize myself with them (our itinerary seems to be made up of moderate hikes). They are expensive! Oh, which I should mention, I'm working with a limited budget around $300-$400. I believe the only other items I'm in search of are base layers and a possible down jacket (pretty expensive as well). I've read through the forum the weather is a variable to be considered, especially in mid September. I figured I'm in the right place to throw questions out regarding gear, I want to have more fun. I guess this question goes out to my Yosemite locals. Should I be looking for any must have items I've blatantly overlooked (stoves are provided by guides).Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to hit the trail!

Hasta pronto!

Edited by Gaucho (07/30/10 08:42 AM)