After doing some testing with a home-made alcohol stove, I'm convinced, and I'm making the switch from my trusty ole MSR Whisperlite.

I went to my local small town hardware store for some fuel. I had done my testing with yellow Heet (methyl alcohol), so I knew that worked well. As I was headed into the store, I was met by a new guy, and I told him what I needed. He started leading me to the solvent and chemical aisle.

Just as we got there, one of the experienced guys met us. I told him I needed methyl alcohol, and he handed me a can of METHYL ETHYL KETONE! I asked him "Is this the same stuff as methyl alcohol?" He said "Yup, that's it!"

As some dim memory in my head conjured up a vision of my campsite disappearing in a ball of flame, I looked at the shelves, and saw a can labeled "alcohol appliance fuel". I said "Oh, I guess this is what I actually need", paid and left.

The "alcohol appliance fuel" I got is also labeled as denatured alcohol, 4% methanol, also known as methylated ethanol. I read that this is also one of the preferred fuels.

When I got home, I Googled Methyl Ethyl Ketone, and confirmed that it is a volatile, toxic and highly flammable solvent. I'm thinking the results from using it in a little alcohol stove might not be pretty! I don't expect it would do well carried in a plastic drink bottle either. I'm glad I did my homework on this one.

I'll post up a review of my new White Box Stove later.

Edited by Canyonero (07/22/10 06:46 PM)