How much weight do you intend to carry?

You should be able to find material for very cheap at a wal mart. Go to the camping section and get a blue foam sleeping pad, they are like 10$. Trim some of the foam off for all the padding you need, then use the rest as your sleep pad. Go over to the fabric section, they sometimes have a gray ripstop nylon for $1 a yard that is very light and strong enough if you are careful. I found some and bought all they had. If you think it isn't strong enough, double it up, it is cheap as hell. Some is waterproof, some isn't. If you get the kind that isn't just use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner. I do this on my G4. You can then sew on your webbing, some custom pockets for whatever you want.

Then when you get some spare cash...I found a warm fleece sweater at wal mart for like 15$. I found some fleece pants on sale for 20$ at sports chalet. Couple that with a wool or fleece blanket (can find those for 10$ at wal mart), a tarp, a groundsheet from home depot plastic painters cloth, and a pepsi can stove, you have a super cheap, pretty light, much more compact kit to fit in a smaller, lighter backpack.

Or like others have said, a good bet is Goodwill. I used to find all kinds of stuff there. Wool sweaters socks and pants ect, I am sure it is easy to find real fleece there too.

Less is more crazy

Edited by sparkyy (07/16/10 12:39 AM)