Hi, I'm a new member, thought I would try out the forums... - I just got a killer deal on a Black Diamond Lighthouse (due to them switching from Epic to Nano-shield, and discontinuing this model) I have researched the heck out of this tent, and am very familiar with the mixed reviews of the epic fabric, but for my backpacking in mostly summer weather in the southern rockies - I think it will work just fine...

My first setup of it was a 30 plus minute pain in the you know what......I was so scared that with the tension of putting the two long poles in, they would slip out of the "snaps"/ holders, and rip through the fabric. The salesman at the store was very slow as well, as he hadn't set it up before.

So - to any Lighthouse, or similar BD tents (Hilight, etc) a few questions...

1) The directions say put the awning pole in first. I tried this, and it was just in my way, so took it out and put it in last. This means it was UNDER the crossed long poles, does this make any difference if it's over, or under the "X" cross of the poles?

2) Putting the first long pole in, the salesman at the store did this from inside, somehow, but a video online looks like the guy does it from the outside, getting the first end in, then flexing the pole while it is still OUTSIDE the tent, getting it in, then pulling the tent OVER the pole.....as I just spent 30 miserable hot sweaty minutes doing my first setup, I did it by being INSIDE the tent, and flexing it up pushing tent up as I went, but it took many tries, as the first end kept slipping out of the "snap", still staying in the little black holder thingy, but I was totally paranoid it was going to slip out, and through the fabric - ruining the tent!
I am trying to figure out if by after getting the first pole into the first holder, and attaching it to one or any of the velcro holders BEFORE tensioning it into the second holder might help? The directions say use the "one closed to the door"?

When I was done, yikes, it sure is a taut pitch, I worry about all the bumps the velcro holders make against the fabric, look like a wear point?

Anyway - any tips, tricks, or the methods you use to get the poles in (well, that is basically the whole setup!) would sure be appreciated. I'm sure if I set it up a dozen times I might figure all this out, but it can't hurt asking! I'm off to seam seal the sucker now! (not looking forward to this job!)

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!