When I went out with Girl Guides, or sea cadets, all I wanted was to make my own stuff. Be independent, and do it myself. Thats what kids love, is the feeling of "I can do this!"

Another REALLY good idea, but I am sure I will catch flack for it here, but it was so super fun laugh at the time and I felt like I was in the Army. Ration Packs. In Canada you get some pretty darn good Ratpacks. We ate them in cadets, and its a boil the bag, open, and eat with a long sundae spood type of deal.
There was tubes of peanut butter, drink crystals, choc bars, a dessert like pied cherries, pied peaches, mmmmmmm, in the box.
In the bags: Mac and cheese, spaghetti w/ meatballs, fingerparts and potatoes lol (sausage and potato)you name it, they make it in a foil bag!!! I think you can get them online, or at army surplus.

We used compasses the weekend we did the whole survival outback thing, and did a course at night, like a scavenger hunt, get 1 location, it gives you clues to the next, etc. Maybe not at night for the boys, but personally, it was an explosivley awesome time, its 16 years later and Im STILL TALKING ABOUT! awesome