Originally Posted By Cstolworthy
I actually find ramen quite good when backpacking. I only make it with a half packet of seasoning. There is a LOT of sodium in them. I also typically will get a fish, and I have wild onions, tubers, etc that I find while hiking. Put it all together and you have a pretty good meal.

I HIGHLY recommend getting some books, or taking classes on foraging for food. There is an absolute abundance of it once you know what to look for!

This is one of the most useful things to have on the trail. BUT BE SURE what you are picking is what the book is saying is edible. Some look very close to others. I studied plants in the North East and now I know what to look for, I realize there is so many wild edibles to eat out here, carrots, onions, sea peas, sarsaparilla, wintergreen, the list goes on! Not to mention blue berries, black berries, and raspberries. I forage along the trail and end up having a feast! I love picking blueberries and bringing pancake mix that doesnt require butter and milk (or bring powdered milk) and cooking up blue berry pancakes in the morning. MMM.

Tom Brown's book is great, mentions that you can eat the inside of spruce tree bark after boiled, and the needles have a lot of vitamin C and to steep it as a tea.

Also with the Ramen...I am a huge Thai food fan, I bring a small packet of peanut butter and cook the ramen as instructed, but save the flavor packet which in its place I put peanut butter to make some delicious trail thai.