Some of the canister stoves are tiny, I think they run on butane though.

Food. At home I like to cook, but I'm just interested in basics when I'm out. Things taste better in the mountains anyway. Ramen noodles aren't anything but carbohydrates and salt, really, you get pretty hungry if that's all you have. Dried instant potatoes are pretty good, I take some bouillon cubes and a small bottle of Parkay for flavor. Instant brown rice, also good. Dried fish or dried beef for protein, any Asian grocery has all sorts of dried fish, some of it's better than beef jerky for flavor (the peppered squid, great stuff). Oatmeal and raisins in the morning, sounds horrible, tastes good. Usually trail bars in the daytime, Tiger's Milk bars really work well for me. That and whatever vegetables you find along the trail, I graze on whatever. I don't remember finding much in the Northwest, though, unless it was berry season. Ate a lot of trout while I was there. Salmon berries, bear berries, blue berries, usually there was something, but usually not much of it.

Everybody has different favorites, I just broke the habit of eating complicated, the basics are good enough. Vitamin pills are a help, you probably won't have a balanced diet otherwise so it makes sense. I've actually never gone hiking with the prepackaged freeze-dried meals, guess I ought to try it sometime.

A buddy of mine out there would go hiking with me, and all he'd take was a case of beer. We worked out a system after the first time, but that first time was a little dicey. I'd take extra food after that, but hiking on half rations and beer isn't all that great.