I made an adjustment today (early worm gets the bird). I underloaded the batch of wood, putting the bigger sticks only halfway up toward the secondary air inlets, and smaller stuff on top. Total batch about an inch under the secondary inlets. Then, second adjustment, I let it burn for 3 minutes without putting the pot on top. This has been the smoky time of the stove, putting the pot on top before the fire is really going hot.

So I put the pot on at 3 minutes, and there was a violent boil of the .8L water at 9:45 (6:45 after putting it on stove).

I started augmenting (adding to) the wood in the stove at about the 5 minute mark, a couple pieces a minute maybe. It burned with great flame all the way, and no smoke! When the flames were their biggest, wrapping around the cookpot, there was some slight black/sooty smoke at the ends of the flames. But keeping the flames on the bottom of the cookpot resulted in no smoke at all.

Last night, after I was done experimenting, I fed the stove like it was a campfire. It took some pretty big chunks of wood, no problem. When it's hot, it will burn whatever it gets. And..... no smoke! As long as the wood is below the secondary inlets, there is no smoke. So it's a smokeless campfire!

huh, now all i need is a date that backpacks. or a buddy. we can stay up late and talk all kinds of nonsense around the smokefree campfire.

Edited by Pat-trick (05/18/10 07:14 AM)