Originally Posted By ChrisFol

-Cooking fish. Nix the grill toppers and just wrap your fish in tin-foil and place directly into the coals of a fire. How do you cook them if fires are not permitted?

I've actually never even used the grill toppers yet, but included them in my list because i intend to try them. Jason Klass has recommended them. They actually weigh 0.8oz each and Jason claims they are tough enough to grill trout on when propped up by rocks.

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/

I have always just baked fish in the campfire wrapped in foil. But I thought about adding some nice grilled flavor too the trout with the grilling idea. I figured they would be worth the weight of a couple of ounces to bring 2-3 along. Plus, I sometimes get wrapped up into the whole "grilled food over a campfire" routine. And when BP'g it is so hard to do.....so these little grills look dandy. Hope they're strong enough to work.

I never cook trout if fires are not permitted. The only place where this has been a concern was RMNP and the IPW and I'm only in there for one night at a time anyway. All other areas I go or intend to go always have allowed fires with some minor restrictions. And no campfire bans this summer with all of the moisture the Rockies have received this spring.

Edited by countr21 (05/15/10 03:08 PM)