Wow, awesome feedback everyone....i'm lovin it.

Some ideas for me to ponder with the help:

I have to have some type of sandals for at the very least stream crossings. The idea of hiking long hours in saturated boots is incomprehensible to me. And I don't necessarily take my waders on BP trips.......I just wear my sandals and shorts and "wet wade" in as far as I can stand the cold water and then hop up on a good rock 10-15 feet out from shore. But, I did just buy some LW waders for fishing on day hikes and these require separate wading footwear. Balzaccom could you post some more info about the crocs you use? My Tevas do not work with the waders, the straps are too tight.

I am going to immediately look into painter's drop cloth for my ground cover. I used to sell paint supplies so I know just the stuff. Should be able to save some quick weight here with a small investment. I've read other, detailed posts about the ideas with this product so I'm good to go.

It's obvious I've got too much raingear (with that good tent included). It's just every trip I get blasted by afternoon t-storms, and every third trip I contend with prolonged downpours. I've always hiked in the poncho (great ventilation) and fished/camped/scouted trout water in the jacket and pants. I also use the poncho as a clean ground cover to organize/store gear around camp. The jacket serves double duty when it's just dry and chilly and breezy as the outer layer. I think my compromise is to can the pants........they're the heaviest piece of raingear and probably serve the least as far as the comfort factor is concerned. A side note here, my old work schedule had me working the late hours so I used to take a poor sleep schedule with me into the mountains. i.e. I quite often was still hiking/setting up camp during those late afternoon t-storms. But, my new schedule will allow me to wake very early now.......so maybe I'll be better prepared for those storms.

I am definitely going to do something about the repellent. It's just way too heavy (and bulky). At the very least I am going to toss one of the cans for my upcoming, long trip into skeeter central (Teton Wilderness) ChrisFol where are the dropper bottles available? I've used the Sawyer spray bottles before, too......but didn't like them. I am going to give them more of a go around on some day hikes and test them better. Also, the DEET towelettes work great and they are ULW. I'll just bring along more of these.

And the head lamp is gone.......I don't know why I kept bringing it. I guess I always thought I would need it when hiking at night.....only one problem - I never hike at night. The flashlight/lantern combo is still heavy, but I just love how much direct and ambient light it can put out. It stays until I can find a cheaper alternative with the same performance. BTW, it's an "Energizer Weather Ready" light found at Walmart for about $15. I don't know the exact weight but it feels the same as one can of that heavy repellent (4-6 oz???).

Sounds like I can save 2-2.5 pounds if I do the changes you guys recommend. I can't go with all of the recommendations. Sorry, but I love that camp basin way too much!!!! I'm a little bit of a clean freak in the field, and it makes cleaning tasks and filtering water a snap. Still, I can drop another 14% drop off of the base. That's huge. Fantastic ideas. grin

And I'm not ashamed of the money I've spent (thanks for the support here as well)....it just seems like lots of coin. But well worth it for sure. BP fly fishing is my passion and it has allowed me to shed dozens of pounds and my fitness level is through the roof compared to what it was 5 years ago. Spending money on your health and happiness should never be a concern.