Hello to All:

I Just joined and am also of the Almost...but not yet an...Over the Hill unit. It has been over 30 years since I have done any serious backpacking. Following my 24 year old nephew, on his A/T Thru on "Trail Journals" last year, and providing him with a few great Zeros here in Virginia has returned my thoughts to getting in shape and heading out into the woods. I have since had him come down from Connecticut and done a few A/T and loop hikes over-night with him. His experience as an A/T graduate has been invaluable in helping me get back into the woods.

Things are very different then with a 45lb. pack being the norm vs. the 29 lb. unit that I currently carry. I lose weight every time I go out and am feeling ever stronger. However, my knees are the biggest obstacle that I am facing with well-worn joints from the abuses that they have taken. I do hike slowly with deliberation and awareness, but I am back at it!

A little more each week with the eye on Section Hiking the entire 550 miles of Virginia over the next 2 years. We will See.

Hope to see all of you out there...Wish me luck!...Hobbler

Edited by Hobbler (05/08/10 04:23 PM)