Originally Posted By Jimshaw
The purpose of this post is to maybe demonstrate to beginners that ultralight gear is not better gear and to consider what you actually need in a piece of gear as being more important than what it weighs.

....... You are much better off with a heavier set of gear that works and is durable and warm and dry, than by meeting any body else's weight considerations. crazy

The purpose of this post is to maybe demonstrate to beginners that ultralight gear is not better gear and to consider what you actually need in a piece of gear as being more important than what it weighs.

Hopefully I didn't quote you out of context. confused But, I am going to.......AGREE with you. But, you actually might not like me doing so. shocked

I have a lot of gear that I carry that the ultralight crowd wouldn't even consider, or think it too heavy. Some of it is that I am somewhat of a luddite.
According to ultralight mantra, you don't need a big knife, and can get away with a small razor blade. I always carry my multitool AND a fixed blade, usually a Mora. I also always have something to sharpen it with. My reasoning is that I want something that works and is durable. That is also why my knife is sharp, it needs to work. I also carry EMT shears. So, I generally have 3 items that can cut.
According to ultralight mantra, carry light weight water bottles. I always have 2 gatoraide bottles, and no nalgene, but I also like to take my stainless steel bottle as well. I can boil water in it, and it is very durable. Sometimes I take a small aluminum .7 liter pot, and sometimes I just take my SS bottle.
According to ultralight mantra, Down is the best insulator, and synthetic compressible batting is the second best for outerwear. And in the winter, you need a down parka and down bibs. Sorry, but I think I am better off picking clothes that are heavier that work and are warm and dry. I like to layer in fleece and wool. I always like to have a wool outer layer. The wool has good properties when it gets wet, and it doesn't melt when I get a spark from the fire on it. Ultralights don't like fleece because it is too heavy. My wool jackets are much heavier than fleece. In winter I wear a wool jacket that I made from a wool blanket. It blocks the wind and breathes wonderfully. In summer I have a lighter wool sweater (US airforce I bought at thrift store). Because I can't wear wool next to skin, I always have a 100 weight fleece that goes under. In winter, I wear a couple of fleeces under the wool.

Anyways, Jim, I find your rant humorous. All your gear is ultralight, and now you want to tell beginners that ultralight gear is not better. Your 4 season 8 lb tent is ultralight. Your down everything is ultralight. Your backpack is superultralight. Your 16 pound pack with durable gear is ultralight.